OOTD: Torrid, why must we play these silly games?

Of course when I buy a corset from Torrid (or similar "mall" type stores) originally marked at 35$* I don't really expect more than a cute top that I should be able to wear without a bra for at least the first few wearings.  They use cheap plastic bones that twist out of shape over time, so they only even sort of function as shapewear a few times.  Regardless, when I got this top I was still taken aback by the chutzpah required to list it as a corset.  It doesn't even have bones in the front, just, mysteriously, boning channels.
That complaining aside, this is a cute top.  It is not abvious in the picture, but it have velvet polka dots.  The cardigan is a lightweight gauzy material with Morticia Adams-esque sleeves (always a plus).  The skirt is probably my current favorite in my collection (print detail below). I think of it as my ninja goth skirt because it always takes a second for people to register what they are looking at.

I wore this outfit for a night out of losing badly at a pub quiz with friends.  We are the worst team composed entirely of librarians in the history of pub quizzes.  It's the name that tune category.  This week's theme was the week's billboard top ten.  What am I supposed to do with that? I don't think I have been able to correctly identify a pop singer in a decade at least.  It's basically never cello rock, Gregorian chants, or Eastern European composers.  Not even Tchaikovsky, not once.  Of course we only go as a convenient place to hang out and because it seems to amuse the dj when we guess Justin Bieber for everything.


Outfit Details:
Top and necklace: Torrid (from the same clearance sale even I think)
Choker: 3/4 yard of lace from the Golden D'Or
Cardigan: egl_comm_sales
Skirt: Handmade






Bonus: I have had this song in my head for the past three days, and it is so good I am still not yet irritated.



*Although I pretty much shop there exclusively when they have 75% off clearance sales, so I believe I paid seven
Category: 4 comments

4 comments:

Tenebris In Lux said...

At first I thought skirt was just a cool white-with-mysterious-grey-blotches but I was wrong! That is some interesting detail .. and hurrah for handmade ^^

Varina said...

Hehe, thanks! The store I got this fabric from had a "Dias des los Muertas" section. Score!

Sarahbelle said...

LOVE that ensemble!!!!

Seriously.

Love it.

Electrobat said...

That fabric is brilliant! I just discovered it a couple of days ago and can't wait to order some for a skirt!

Post a Comment